Thursday, May 10, 2007

If Ya Wanna - Jon³ remix

Title: If Ya Wanna - Jon³ remix

Length: 5:01

File Size: 5.75MB

Production Date(s): May 9, 2007

Gear used: Fender Rhodes suitcase electric piano, Digitech RP200, vintage Ludwig drum kit, Shure SM-58, Korg MS-10, Cubase, Reason

Collaborators:
Benzito

Notes: My plans changed so many times this week. I've been kicking around several ideas for new Jams, and I thought I knew what I was going to do last night, but on my drive home from work I began to reconsider. My new idea was just to jam out on the
Rhodes and drums, so I sent a text message to my lovely girlfriend asking for a random key and the reply came back "D minor" (the saddest of all keys). I set up a click track in Reason (congas!) and did my Rhodes and drums parts in one take each (big thanks to Gerg for the use of his superfly drumset). After spending an hour tweaking the EQs and effects, I realized the parts would make a good bed for something else. Enter Benzito, a talented hip-hop artist and friend of mine from my home town. He was recently kind enough to provide me with one of the vocal tracks off his new CD, "Long Time Coming" (which you should totally purchase). Anyway, I promised him a remix and I still plan on making the DnB version, but it also sits pretty nicely atop the Rhodes and drums. All I had to do was time-crunch the rhymes by 16bpm and add a synth bass line on the Korg (also one take, inspired by the acoustic bass sample on the original). I also made a few simple edits to the vocal and bass tracks. So yeah, live hip-hop sorta!

3 comments:

Reetsyburger said...

I bought the Benzito "Long Time Coming" cd here:
http://www.laidbackmanor.com/store.cfm

Nice remix!

Jon said...

Thanks Reetz! I updated my original post.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. I really like it.