Monday, June 18, 2007

Virtual Jazz: All Of Him

Title: AllOfHim

Length: 4:01

File Size: 4.61MB

Production Date(s): May 2 - June 17, 2007

Gear used: Reason, Cubase, M-Audio Ozone

Collaborators: Leonardo Asseph

Notes: Man, this was a fun one! A couple months ago my coworker Leo gave me an MP3 to listen to, a recording of him playing the saxophone in his bedroom at home. I loved it immediately. He's just so into it! I decided that Leo deserved to be playing sax with a combo on a stage, so that's exactly where I put him in this week's Jam. So I recreated the sonic landscape of a lively jazz club, complete with ambient crowd chatter (thanks to drvono and friend). The sax part is all Leo, though I chopped it up and transposed various bits to match the changes. The other instruments (drums, bass, piano) were either played on the Ozone or programmed, and are entirely sample-based in Reason.

Unfortunately Leo was a temp with my company and no longer works there. The Charlie Parker photo he left in his cube now adorns mine. I used his recording with his permission, and I hope this project finds its way back to him somehow.

3 comments:

drvono said...

Totally awesome. I can almost hear martini glasses clattering in the background.

Anonymous said...

YO JON! I'm glad i was able to track you down.

The track sounds very cool, I apologize the Saxophone is a bit broken and it doesn't always sound like Kenny G. ;)

Thanks for keeping my C.P. poster in good hands,
Good luck,
Cheers.
LEO.

1AngryDr said...

anyone think of or know of jazz musicians laying down a mp3 track of a standard and making it available for others to add their instrument, bass drums, etc for a virtual jam? For busy people who wish they could play its a great idea.